Kidney stones – Signs & Symptoms
Kidney stones are hard deposits consisting of minerals and salts that develop inside your kidneys. They are also known as renal calculi, nephrolithiasis, or urolithiasis.
Kidney stones are painful and can cause discomfort, so it is important to understand the causes and take steps to prevent them. Maintaining a healthy diet and weight can help, as can stay hydrated and avoiding medications and supplements that can contribute to stone formation.
● Severe, sharp pain in the side and back, below the ribs
● Pain that radiates to the lower abdomen and groin
● Pain that comes in waves and fluctuates in intensity
● Pain or burning sensation while urinating
Other signs and symptoms may include:
● Nausea and vomiting
● Pink, red or brown urine
● Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
● A persistent need to urinate, urinating more often than usual or urinating in small amounts