Share on                    

Opening Hours : 24 x 7
  Contact : Emergency: +91 8939 59 9999

Want to know more about your Cholestrol

Many of us relate cholesterol with fatty foods on the contrary the waxy substance is actually made by our own bodies.  It is the liver where 75% of our body’s cholesterol is produced and then it gets circulated in our blood. The rest of the 25% of course comes from the food we eat. Normally the presence of cholesterol is vital for the function of the cells in our body, but high cholesterol levels are detrimental to good health.

What are the symptoms of high cholesterol?

Unfortunately high cholesterol levels do not cause any apparent symptoms, but it causes relevant damage deep within our body. One example is the build up of plaque deep within the body over a period of time. This condition is called atherosclerosis and it narrows the space within the blood vessel thus affecting normal blood flow. This condition leads to heart attacks and heart diseases.

What is ‘Bad Cholesterol’?

It is the proteins that carry cholesterol in the blood and they are known as Low Density Lipoproteins or LDL. This is the bad cholesterol since it combines with other substances and gets deposited in the arterial walls. Usually a continuous diet consisting of high saturated fats and Trans fats raises the level of LDL cholesterol. Generally a score of LDL below 100 is considered healthy but for people with heart disease, it should be much lower than that.

What is ‘High Triglyceride’ level?

Normally the body converts excess of calories, sugar and alcohol etc. into triglycerides which is a type of fat that is carried by the blood and deposited in various fat cells in different parts of the body. Those who are overweight, inactive, smokers or heavy drinkers tend to have high triglycerides. High triglyceride is an occurrence in those who take a high-carb diet too. A high triglyceride score of 150 or more means your body is prone to get metabolic syndrome, which is linked to heart disease and diabetics.

What is ideal Cholesterol level?

The total cholesterol level is the measure of LDL, HDL and VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) in our bloodstream. A total cholesterol score of fewer than 200 is considered optimally healthy. People who have a high score are at increased risk of developing heart disease than those with a lower score.

Who can get high cholesterol?

There are several factors that lead you to high cholesterol levels. Some are as follows:

  • A family history of high cholesterol
  • A diet rich in saturated fats
  • Sedentary lifestyle and being overweight
  • Men have higher propensity to get High Cholesterol
  • Getting older

How to stop High Cholesterol?

The following steps can control high cholesterol.

  • Eat a fibre rich diet
  • Cut down animal products, tropical oils, baked and fried foods
  • Replace meat and milk with soya milk and fish
  • Take a low carb diet
  • Exercise, lose weight and quit smoking

Leave a Reply