Fatigue or tiredness is not always due to a malfunctioning thyroid and how will you know the difference when it is due to abnormal thyroid.
You can detect thyroid related fatigue when you cannot sustain energy levels as compared to past levels of fitness. If the thyroid is abnormal then sustained energy output is difficult. The first sign is that you are not able to do things which were normal routine during the past.
There are a few relevant symptoms for thyroid related fatigue which can be listed as follows.
- Constantly feeling that you don’t have the energy to exercise and not exercising on a consistent basis.
- You feel a heavy head or tired head especially in the afternoon as the head is a very strong indicator of the thyroid hormone status
- Suddenly falling asleep whenever you sit down and especially when you have nothing to do
- Body Pains and Joint Pains ON and OFF
If every day you wake up energized and have decent energy flow with mental and physical alertness along with a feeling of physical fitness then you don’t have anything to worry, you are not a victim of thyroid induced fatigue.
What is hypothyroidism?
The thyroid is a small butterfly shaped gland that produces hormones and influence every organ, tissue and cell in the body. Thyroid abnormalities if left untreated for long, leads to heart disease, infertility, weakness and osteoporosis. Hypothyroidism is the underactive performance of the thyroid which shows symptoms like fatigue, forgetfulness, depression, constipation and constant changes in weight and appetite.
What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
Apart from the constant fatigue other symptoms include depression and muscle weakness along with following ones
- Not losing weight even after proper exercise and diet
- High sensitivity to cold
- Dry and rough skin along with dry tangled hair
- The nails will be brittle
- Hair loss from the top of the eyebrow
The most common way to find out hypothyroidism is to subject the patient to a Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Test (TSHT) and find out whether the result is between acceptable values.
What are the natural methods to restore thyroid levels?
Usually doctors treat hypothyroidism with artificial hormones and this therapy can have many side effects that are not conducive to health. Hence here are some natural methods of restoring thyroid levels.
- Make sure you get optimum levels of selenium and iodine which are the raw materials of the thyroid gland to work normally
- Take plenty of omega-3 fats from high quality food items and fish oils etc.
- Keep your stress control under control; usually many people have abnormal thyroid glands as a result of weak adrenal glands. The thyroid glands tried to compensate for this and finally loses out
- A sound night’s sleep in complete darkness also goes a long way in restoring thyroid levels.