Sleep is one of the most important jobs of a baby. In recent years, baby napping has became a major concern for parents and caretakers,the reason being lack if knowledge regarding variation of babies sleeping pattern with age.
|Age||Night Sleep||Day Sleep|
|0 to 2 mths||Total
sleep: 10 -19hrs per day
Sleep periods: 1-3 hrs
Separated by awake periods: 1-2 hrs
|2 mths to 1 yr||9 -12 hrs||3 – 4hrs (2-4naps)|
|1yr to 3yrs||9.5 to 10.5 hrs||2 – 3hrs(1-2naps)|
|3yrs to 5 yrs||9 to 10 hrs||0 to 1hr(1 nap / none)|
|Above 5 yrs||9 to 10 hrs||None|
As the baby grows, internal clocks switch from ultadian rhythm (operator every 90 minutes) circadian rhythm (operates a little more than 24 hrs). Hence as the baby grows, the frequency of sleep decreases and duration of sleep period and wakeful period increases.
- Choose a safe place:
- Place your baby on a firm mattress with a well fitting sheet
- Make sure baby’s face is uncovered by blankets.
- Make sure baby will not fall down from bed anytime
- Make the baby lie on his or her back
- Establish a routine:
- Help the baby to understand that night time is for sleep.
- Nurse the baby in low light at night
- Minimize socializing to night at nights
- Never wake a sleeping baby unless recommended by your pediatrician
- Avoid rushing to pick your baby at the first sign of stirring. Most babies will resettle by themselves if left as intervened.
- Avoid bright lights , loud music before falling asleep (avoid laptops, cellphone, Television etc.,)
- Avoid gross variation in bedtime and wake up time. eg late bed time and late wake-up time on weekends and holidays.